Walk the Talk - the no-edit interview #
On the right half of the front page: box at the bottom
For this template, you need a smart phone, a microphone, and a special adapter. Get help http://visionon.tv/wiki/-/wiki/Main/Smart phone tech
Recording and uploading video will really drain your battery. Make sure your phone is fully charged!
Run a test.
Plug in the adapter, mike and headphones. Record a test by speaking into the mike and tapping it. Can you hear the mike when you play back through headphones?
On the inside left page://
(PIC of 2 people joined by a cable: one holding phone wearing headphones, and the other holding a lollipop mike)
You and a mate can use a mobile phone camera to make and distribute a news report in just 20 minutes. One of you does the filming while the other does the interview.
Find a quiet space.
Interviewer should have an informal chat with your interviewee to find out the most interesting / funny / outrageous thing they have to say.
The camera guy should practice framing her shots during this.
Stand as close as you can to the interviewee and tell them to talk to you, NOT the camera. Middle of left-hand page PIC of interviewer and interviewee: the interviewer has her arm around the interviewee
1. Intro to camera - where and who
2. The interview (get the interviewee to tell one story and keep it short!)
3. Sign off to camera - your name and organisation
SHORTER THE BETTER. 2 to 3 mins is good! Split longer interviews into separate shows.
There are ONLY 5 shots.
(PICs as a kind of storyboard of the 5 shots, with the description at the side of each.)
1. DIRECT TO CAMERA interviewer does intro at the beginning and sign-off at the end. Optional extra: PAN ROUND from the scene to interviewer's intro (ESTABLISHER) - this is is small box text.
2. OVER-THE-SHOULDER interviewer looking at the interviewee
3. CLOSE-UP interviewee (avoid the one-eye profile shot)
4. CLOSE-UP interviewer
5. 2-SHOT of both
Change your shot every 5 to 20 seconds, following the flow of the conversation.
Make your transitions fast and smooth, this takes practice.
"Yeah! Done it! Let's edit!!"
(PICS as in One min one shot news report)
THERE IS NO EDIT!
For reliable upload go to your local coffee shop and use wifi. For more uploading adivce go to http://visionon.tv/wiki/-/wiki/Main/Upload from mobile
"Stick to the template, please!"
Top Tips #
1. Practise moving swiftly and smoothly from one shot to the next.
2. Don't get stuck on one shot for too long - 20 seconds max.
3. Relax, and try to anticipate the next question or answer. Go with the flow of the interview.
1. Don't be shy about interrupting the interviewee if they're going on too long.
2. Remember to ask them how people can find out more.